Over sixty very dynamic and enthusiastic people of all ages gathered at a public meeting in the Kinvara Community Centre on the 26th March to launch the Plastic Free Week Challenge and to share ideas on how to organize it.
- Dates were set for the week starting on Friday 20th of April and up to and including Friday 27th. These dates allow for inclusion in the national plastic free day organized by Friends of the Earth for the Saturday 21st April and two Farmers’ Markets on the two Fridays.
- The Challenge is to shop for one whole week without bringing any single use plastic home.
- A number of teams were set up to work on various areas including media coverage, social media engagement, schools projects and posters and publicity.
- Londis supermarket in Kinvara has agreed to facilitate the project in various ways including setting up a plastic free stall for the week and receiving and disposing of unwanted plastics for the week.
- Kinvara Community Council donated the use of the hall for the meeting
- A collection was made at the meeting of €110